Wednesday, May 14, 2008

deipneo

Deipneo is a Greek word that literally means "to eat supper with."

Over the rest of this summer I will be working with 8th and 9th grade boys at Pine Cove.  Our Bible Study will be over Revelation 3:20:

"Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,  I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

We will be focusing on what it means to have the Lord come in and eat with you.  What does it look like to have intentional time with Jesus?  What does it mean to build a deep relationship with Him?

These are the questions that will be posed to my campers but I wanted to post them on my blog as well.  Hopefully I will be able to write from camp every week about mine and my campers experiences with this Bible Study.

-Bryan

1 comment:

liv said...

This is from the Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. He is talking about Jesus eating with 'sinners;'

"the physical contact which he [jesus] must have had with them [the sinners] and which he obviously never dreamed of disallowing must have made them feel clean and acceptable. Moreover, because Jesus was looked upon as a man of God and a prophet, they would have interpreted his gesture of friendship as God’s approval of them. They were now acceptable to God. Their sinfulness, ignorance, and uncleanness had been overlooked and were no longer being held against them."

Also, check out Henri Nouwen. He talks a ton about what it looks like and what it meant for someone to share a meal with you. It is more than a meal, he suggests, but rather an invitation into a deep friendship with that person.

It's an awesome concept and thought I'd share if it was relevant to where you could share it with your guys :)