Tuesday, May 13, 2008

love

God IS love.  Love is knowledge and truth.

Allow me to expound.

I am not married, but if I was I would consider it my duty to love and cherish my wife and it would be her duty to respect me in return.  What if told her I simply wanted to love her in action and deed?  What if I did not specifically enjoy talking to her or getting to know here in a one-on-one setting?  Would this be acceptable?  Once again, I am not married but I doubt if my wife would appreciate or accept this.  

In the same way we cannot as Christ's followers and bride (the church) truly love Him and love others if we do not have a deep knowledge of our Creator.  A knowledge and relationship with Christ through his word and through prayer is extremely necessary in order to love our neighbor and to love Christ in return.  To love others we must study the character and doctrine of Christ as found throughout his Word.  

This seems to be an element so often missed by many of the leaders of today's "emergent church."  They often call for love alone.  They often say that doctrine is simply a part of modern thinking.  This is simply untrue.  It is so vital to know the character of God through his revelations to us.  We cannot miss this.  

Hopefully this makes sense, more to come.

by His grace,

-Bryan

1 comment:

Haley said...

:)

you're my favorite.

and so right.